Human Trafficking Search stands with the protestors and their work to reform systems that entrench inequality and injustice, including mass incarceration of African-Americans. As the Black Lives Matter movement moves to Congress and seeks new legislative initiatives, it is the hope of Human Trafficking Search that they will also turn to the issue of forced prison labor which has its own specific history and relationship to slavery in the U.S.
A few resources to learn more about prison labor and human trafficking, include:
- Institutional Maintenance in Private Prisons: A Case of Labor Exploitation
- Efforts by States to Eliminate the Exception Allowing Slavery or Involuntary Servitude as Punishment for a Crime
- Human Trafficking and Prison Labor, Part 1: An Overview
- Human Trafficking and Prison Labor, Part 2: Understanding the Types of Prison Labor
- Human Trafficking and Prison Labor, Part 3: Incarcerated Workers and COVID-19